The sins of Judas Iscariot - I can only imagine!

Luke 22:1-6 (NASB)

Now the Feast of Unleavened Bread, which is called the Passover, was approaching. And the chief priests and the scribes were trying to find a way to put Him to death, since they were afraid of the people.

And Satan entered Judas, the one called Iscariot, who belonged to the number of the twelve. And he left and discussed with the chief priests and officers how he was to betray Him to them. And they were delighted, and agreed to give him money. And so he consented, and began looking for a good opportunit
y to betray Him to them away from the crowd.

I can only imagine what might have been going through Judas’ mind when he decided to betray Jesus.


Luke 9:57-58 (NASB)

As they were going on the road, someone said to Him, “I will follow You wherever You go.” And Jesus said to him, “The foxes have holes and the birds of the sky have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head.”

I imagine that Judas would have believed that Jesus was the messiah, enough so that he would have left everything he had just to follow Jesus, something many others failed to do.

 

Luke 24:44-45 (NASB)

Now He said to them, “These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all the things that are written about Me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled.”

Then He opened their minds to understand the Scriptures,

I imagine how Judas, like his fellow apostles would have struggled to understand what Jesus’ was doing.

 

Luke 9:1-2 (NASB)

Now He called the twelve together and gave them power and authority over all the demons, and the power to heal diseases. 2 And He sent them out to proclaim the kingdom of God and to perform healing.

I imagine how Judas, after having the opportunity to experience and wield miraculous powers, would have felt excited and privileged to help Jesus usher in Jesus’ new kingdom!

 

Luke 9:54-55 (NASB)

When His disciples James and John saw this, they said, “Lord, do You want us to command fire to come down from heaven and consume them?” But He turned and rebuked them.

I imagine how Judas, like James and John, might have had different ideas about how Jesus would have or was supposed to punish non-believers and even overthrow Israel's oppressors in order to establish His new kingdom!


John 12:4-6 (NASB)

But Judas Iscariot, one of His disciples, the one who intended to betray Him, *said, “Why was this perfume not sold for three hundred denarii and the proceeds given to poor people?” Now he said this, not because he cared about the poor, but because he was a thief, and as he kept the money box, he used to steal from what was put into it.

I can only imagine how Judas, might have gradually grown bitter against Jesus over His methods which did not match his own expectations, and how his love for money  combined with his growing mistrust of Jesus resulted in a relapse of his sinful tendencies to steal!  I can only image how he might have justified helping himself to a little of what was in the money box.  I can only imagine how he might have had many unrealized and unsupported ideas and plans to raise more funds that could be “given to the poor” or to finance the rebellion that would be needed to overthrow Israel’s oppressors; maybe asking himself why Jesus wasn’t using the power he apparently to ushering in the Kingdom with a show of force to vanquish the enemy?

 

Luke 9:21-22,27 (NASB)

But He warned them and instructed them not to tell this to anyone, saying, “The Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed and be raised on the third day.” ---- But I say to you truthfully, there are some of those standing here who will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God.”

I can only imagine how Judas might have responded in confusion to Jesus’ warnings to keep His predicted death a secret.  Was Jesus going to return from the dead to show his power, to convince the elders, chief priests and scribes, to rally all of Israel to pledge allegiance to and support the new kingdom, which would then rise up to finally overthrow Israel’s oppressors?

I can only imagine, maybe in his confusion, he reasoned that he could kill two birds with one stone, raise some money from the chief priests while fast tracking what Jesus was always telling them would happen anyway. 


Luke 24:44-45 (NASB)

Now He said to them, “These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all the things that are written about Me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled.”

Then He opened their minds to understand the Scriptures,

Hindsight is 20/20 - it can be so easy for us today to judge and criticize Judas Iscariot in a way that makes him seem so much more evil than we are.  We don’t want to be able to relate to Judas in any way, we want to feel like we could never be guilty of his terrible sins.

But, don’t we today struggle with the same sins that led to the ruin of Judas?  Don’t we struggle with not trusting in Jesus’ plan and the only ‘way’ for made for us to be?  So many of us today lack the faith to trust Jesus with our lives, refusing to make the first step, which Judas was at least able to do.  Aren’t we sometimes guilty of scheming and cutting corners to come up with a better ‘way’ that the one Jesus left for us to follow?

I don’t know for sure, but I can only imagine, erring on the side of caution, that maybe I too struggle with the same sins that Judas struggled with.

I remember struggling with the whole "church plan" that Jesus established for us... I thought to myself, "surely I don’t need the church or fellowship from potential hypocrites", convinced that I knew a better way, a better plan, I refused to support Jesus plan for me to let the "wheat and weeds " grow together (Matthew 13:24-30).  Some of us doubt the importance of Jesus’ complete plan for us to “repent and be baptized”, reasoning, "what if I sincerely accept Jesus in my heart, then accidentally die before I get to the water?  Surely God would not hold me sin against me, so… maybe baptism isn’t necessary!  Surely I can get in at the last minute - like the thief on the cross, that’s only fair!  No need to do it the way Jesus said we should do it, He’ll make an exception for me!”

Let us be careful to consider how we could be guilty of some of the same sins that drove Judas to betray Jesus... disbelief and mistrust combined with our ego and a desire to find ‘another way’, which can result in resistance, defiance and even outright rebellion against Jesus ‘way’.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God's Turing Test